Tuesday, March 23, 2010

dimes

A while back I was told a story about a little boy who had a mom that was very sick. They were a family of two and it didn't seem as if that family would last past the year. The mom wanted the year to be special for her son so he would always remember and not ever feel alone. They went on walks to the parks, and lakes, and nature trails. She would throw dimes down, and when he'd find them she told him whenever he finds a dime to remember how very much he is loved. He found dimes in his drawers, and toys, and clothes until the day finally came when his mom left him. His grandparents took him home with them, but a funny thing happened. The little boy kept finding dimes. He would walk to his new school and on the steps would be a shiney dime. He would sit at a restaurant and on the bench, another dime. Everywhere he went, he found dimes. And when he found them, he would think of his mom and the love they had for each other and through his sorrow, he would smile.

Sad, but nice story, right? Well since you know the story now you will find dimes and when you do, know that you are also loved.

I was told the story, and I repeated it to some friends and my husband. I wasn't sure he really listened as he sometimes appears not to, but it's a story that I thought was sweet enough to share.

But again, funny enough, I started to find dimes. Maybe I always saw dimes and since I never gave them any significance it just didn't register. But I found them on the floor, in drawers, on the counter, in pockets. And not with other change, just dimes. Now I would have been suspicious, but I found them at home, at the store, in my car, and at work. No person, as far as I knew, came to all those places.

After a couple of weeks of finding dimes, I found out my husband was putting the dimes everywhere for me to find. Wow, we usually just go about our lives, taking each other for granted, (like you do) and then... If he was romantic all the time I would take that for granted, and let's face it, it would kind of creep me out. But once in a while..... After almost 40 years of marriage, he can still surprise me! So now I make sure he also finds dimes in unexpected places.